Monday, March 5, 2012

An adoption "joke" in The Lorax

We saw The Lorax this weekend, and my kids really liked it.  No, no one in the story is actually adopted, which is a relief given the prevalence of adoption in children's movies.  Yes, adoption was mentioned. Yes, it was just a kind of throw-away line, but I hated that the producers/directors decided to go there. I don't think Dr. Seuss would be proud.

I can't quote it exactly, but it went something like this: the richest (and most evil) man in town visits the home of our young hero.  Mom introduces hero to evil-doer, who says something complimentary.  Mom replies with a giggle, "You want to adopt him? Just kidding!"  Hilarity ensues.

But maybe not so funny if you're a child who feels her birth mother gave her away, or a child whose past experience of being given away leaves behind that anxiety that it will happen again. . . .

Based on the trailer, I was prepared for the sexist "THAT'S a woman?!" line (yes, women are still women when they are old and fat and ugly, not just when they are swimsuit models on the cover of Sports Illustrated).  Didn't see the adoption "joke" coming.


6 comments:

birthmothertalks said...

We seen that movie today. Maybe, I am at a much better place than I used to be cause that didn't even phase me or make me think of my daughter. I hope that someday adoptess can see things like that someday without feeling the sting because those things seems to always pop up.

jena said...

Thank you thank you for letting me know! After reading so many negatives about this movie anyway, this is one last item.

Maureen said...

We saw it yesterday & when the comment was made I inwardly groaned. My 6 yr old & 3 yr old said nothing (both adopted). For what it's worth, I don't think one person in the theatre laughed.

Stacey said...

We saw the movie and I cringed when I heard the "joke." My girls didn't say anything so I didn't mention it. Nobody in our theater laughed either. I'm grateful nobody found it to be funny because it certainly wasn't funny.

Research-China.Org said...

My daughter's and I watched "Hugo" over the weekend, and yesterday I asked them what they thought of the "orphanage" theme in the movie? Did they feel any connection to Hugo? Was there any emotional connection to those scenes?

My oldest (14) daughter expressed it best: "During that scene I was actually thinking about baking some cookies."

I think adoptive parents are often overly sensitive to these references in movies, and that our kids are much less aware, or sensitive, than we are.

Brian

Sonia Vigilante said...

I don't know how I will feel when my daughter is older, but my knee jerk reaction is that it isn't a big deal. But my daughter is only 4 and hasn't developed any strong feelings about being adopted yet. My hope is that as she learns more, she is resilient and confident enough to let these types of things roll off her.