Monday, January 16, 2012

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

I hope you had a good day celebrating the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  My kids made a video, giving their own version of the "I have a dream" speech, but wouldn't you know it, I can't get it uploaded! They worked really hard on it, so I'm just sick I can't get my little video recorder to connect to my computer.  I'll keep trying, but in the meantime, here's the text of the speech (at least the pepared remarks, slight variations on the video):

Zoom in on sign reading "I have a dream."  Zoom out and focus on Zoe and Maya in alternating order. . . .

Zoe:  I have a dream that everyone is treated equal [sic!].

Maya:  I have a dream that everyone has good shelter.

Zoe: I have a dream that slavery will never happen again.

Maya:  I have a dream that everyone has healthy food and clean water.

Zoe:  I have a dream that children will not be bullied because of their race.

Maya:  I have a dream that every child can grow up to be what they want to be.

Zoe:  I have a dream that all bad adoption laws against parents and children will be repealed [we had talked earlier in the day about laws that prevented access to original birth certificates by adoptees and birth parents].

Maya:  I have a dream that every adopted child can know their birth parents.

Zoe:  I have a dream that all orphans find homes.

Maya:  I have a dream that everyone can believe what they want to believe.

Zoe:  I have a dream that it doesn't matter where you cme from, because you are just as unique as everyone else, and we all belong to the human family.

Camera zooms in on sign reading "What's your dream?" while voice-over says. . .

Together:  What's your dream?

So, how about answering their question in the comments:  what's your dream, this MLK day?

1 comment:

Beth said...

Wow. I dream that I can be a mother who can help her daughter so directly and eloquently express her own dreams.