Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I know they miss me

We've had an "ice event" in the North Texas area -- something that would qualify as a non-event in the Great White North. Nonetheless, everything came to a screeching halt. The law school was closed yesterday, and did not reopen until 1 p.m. today. Zoe's and Maya's schools had early dismissal (noon) yesterday, and no school today. We've been very relaxed and lazy, and loving it.

This afternoon, the girls asked to work on their China Workbooks. They happily listed the things they'd want to tell their birth parents about themselves:

Zoe:

1. I am 8 years old (I know and you know that her birth parents likely know this, but Zoe hasn't figured it out!)

2. I have a Chinese sister.

3. I'm the best reader in my class.

4. I got a Chinese book for Christmas.

5. I'm a good speller.
Maya's lists of important facts to share are scanned above -- she's in a love-to-write phase, and I love to show off her newly-acquired handwriting skills!

And then the questions they'd like to ask their birth parents:

Maya:

1. Where do you live?

2. Do you have another baby?

3. Do you like me?

Zoe (exceeding the number of lines in the book!):

1. Why did you let me go?

2. Do you have glasses?

3. How old are you?

4. When is your birthday?

5. Are you adopted?
At one point, Zoe began writing a question, and then erased it. She told me, "I was going to ask if they miss me, but I know they do." I love that confidence in her own value!
I still love, love, love the China Workbooks. It's more than just filling in the blanks, it's the chance to talk more about what they're obviously thinking about. And since they're eager to write in the books, it never feels forced.

2 comments:

Jeff and Madeline said...

I agree, it does add to the value of conversation and keeps the lines of communication open. M reads hers a lot (she completed it in one day--she would not rest until it was done). There are a couple of areas lacking in the workbook and the generalizations are a bit irritating, but overall I like it and so does M.
I removed one page completely and also added information in several spots; also I crossed out and "corrected" the author along with M--she likes that we made the corrections together and were able to discuss.
It was very interesting to see what M thought of her birth parents--she added their ages on her own.

malinda said...

Wendy, that ability to add and subtract content, to mark through and write over, to take up more or less space than is given, is one of the things I like best about the format of the China Workbook.

The girls were all set to finish the workbooks in one sitting -- I'm the one who slowed them down!