Monday, October 6, 2008

Video Review: Peer in the Distance

Video: Peer in the Distance
Directed, Written & Produced by Dr. Changfu Chang

Review by Zoe

What this video is about: Two girls and they never met, because they live apart. XinPing lives in the country and WanWan lives in the city. They both have hard things in their lives. WanWan goes to school and has lots of lessons after school, so she always works. XinPing lives on a farm and has chores, and has to walk a long way to school.

What I liked about this video: That they knew each other and sent letters for a long time. I liked that they were friends even though they didn’t go to the same school.

What I didn’t like about this video: That they didn’t get to see each other in person.

What I learned/How this video helped me: I learned what life is like for girls living in China.

Zoe doesn't have school today, so we had a chance to see this DVD. I've had it for a while, since I went to an FCC-sponsored presentation by Dr. Chang, where he showed another video, A Long Wait for Home. That was also a great video -- not quite appropriate for Zoe's age, though. In that video, three birth parents discuss why they abandoned their children, how they feel about it now, etc. I think it's a very important and helpful video, because we haven't heard these voices from China before. But I also think there are some limitations on how helpful these voices are -- they don't strike me as very typical of birth parents in China. Still, I'd recommend both DVDs!

You can see a trailer for Peer in the Distance at YouTube.

No comments: